Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Roycroft Magazine Pedestal



what: #080 Roycroft bookshelf
dimensions: 14" sq. top / 18" sq. base / 63" h.
deviation: produce scaled version with open back and plywood sides and shelves
materials: maple plywood and solid cherry
considerations: complete as quickly as possible without compromising strength and construction integrity and style; modern methods allowed.

I'm building a crosscut sled right now since it is basically a necessity of a shop to have. But after that is completed I plan on using it immediately on this project to build a Roycroft bookshelf. This1 is the actual Roycroft ad for the piece that they published in 1904.

It's called a magazine pedestal and is designed to hold a years worth of 5 periodical subscriptions. That's cool, but I will use it as a general purpose bookshelf and decorative display case. I bet some magazines will even end up on it. At the request of my wife, the piece will be made with an open back and wedged through tenons. Sure, make me work.

Anyway, that's what's coming up. Hoping to finish Labor Day week sometime.

ok. pk

ref.
1. ISBN# 0-89538-011-0, pg. I.

No comments: